John ‘Yogi’ Hughes Death, Obituary Celtic legend dies aged 79

Spread the love

John ‘Yogi’ Hughes Death, Obituary – Cause of Death: John “Yogi” Hughes, a Lisbon Lion who played for Celtic and passed away at the age of 79 after a brief illness, was the eighth-highest scorer in the history of the club with 189 goals. Hughes was known as “Yogi.” John “Yogi” Hughes, a legendary figure in Celtic music, passed away at the age of 79.

Hughes was a member of the Lisbon Lions team that won the European Cup in 1967, however he was not on the team that played Inter Milan in the championship game. Due to his participation in the earlier rounds, a winner’s medal was presented to him.

The striker, who has 189 goals and is the eighth-highest scorer for the club, was a fixture at Celtic Park up until very recently, working as a match-day hospitality host for the team. A statement sent by the family on Monday night read: “After a brief battle with illness, John “Yogi” Hughes, age 79, died away today at a hospital in a tranquil state. He was enveloped in the warmth of his devoted family.

John ‘Yogi’ Hughes Death, Obituary

“He had a lot of fans and will be terribly missed now that he’s gone. His wife Theresa, his sons Kevin, Martin, and John, his daughter Joanna, his six grandchildren, and other members of his extended family will never forget him and will always celebrate his life with love.

Hughes participated in the Scottish Cup final in 1965, the game in which Jock Stein won his first trophy as Celtic manager. Hughes also won six Scottish titles and participated in four League Cup final victories, including one in which he scored two penalties in a 2-1 victory over Rangers. In this particular game, Hughes helped Celtic beat Rangers.

Additionally, Hughes scored a goal in Celtic’s victory over Leeds in the semi-finals of the European Cup in 1970. In January 1965, Hughes scored five goals in a single match against Aberdeen.

Hughes moved on to play for Crystal Palace in 1971 before continuing his career with Sunderland, when he was joined on the field by his younger brother, Billy. Later in his career, he managed Stranraer and Baillieston Juniors.