Coroner IDs victim of Augusta’s third slaying in three days
AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) – One person was shot dead Tuesday morning in Augusta’s third homicide in three days.
The report of the latest slaying came in at 9:25 a.m. Tuesday in the 3100 block of Wrightsboro Road.
It was at a Captain D’s restaurant about halfway between Damascus Road and North Leg Road.
The Richmond County Coroner’s Office confirmed one victim was found with at least one gunshot wound and pronounced dead on the scene.
Coroner Mark Bowen identified the victim as Eurl Kittles, 42, of Augusta. An autopsy has been scheduled at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation lab.
It was the latest slaying in a string of several for Augusta in recent weeks. Just over the weekend, two young men were slain in Augusta:
- Logan Etterle, 21, was killed at 2:08 a.m. Sunday at 10th and Broad streets after an altercation. One suspect has been arrested and another is still at-large.
- Jakwan Gunter, 19, was pronounced dead just after 4 a.m. Sunday after a shooting at 11th Avenue and Grand Boulevard near Carrie Mays Park.
The local surge in violence seemed to start emerging in April, when it was mostly centered in Richmond County. Then we started to see more homicides across the Savannah River in Aiken County as well as in smaller places in Georgia like Washington County.
TACKLING LOCAL CRIME:
Homicides since April 14 in the CSRA include:
- On June 3 in the 100 block of Pelzer Street in Warrenville, 34-year-old Lacey Toole was shot dead by her boyfriend John Williams, who then turned the gun on himself.
- On June 2 on Summerhill Avenue, 37-year-old Yoni Vargas shot his wife, 33-year-old Rosa Salguero-Landaverde, then killed himself.
- On May 29, a shooting killed two people – 17-year-old William Mykell Lowery and 30-year-old Christopher “Scooter” Dunn – at a “Freaknik”-themed party being held at a ball[park outside Sandersville, Ga. The shooting is believed to be the result of an altercation.
- Patricia Dent, 65, was strangled to death by her boyfriend Joseph McKinnon, who then buried her body in their yard at 102 Tanglewood Drive in Trenton, authorities say. They learned of her death on May 7 after finding McKinnon dead of a heart attack he suffered while burying Dent.
- A shooting just before 7:30 p.m. on April 23 claimed the life of Rodriquez Dunn, 31, at the Olmstead Homes in the 2100 block of B Street in Augusta. Dunn suffered at least one gunshot wound and died at the scene.
- On April 19, Brittany Dougherty was found slain outside a vacant home in the 1500 block of Conklin Lane. Her death was considered suspicious from the start, but within hours the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office ruled her death a homicide.
- On April 18, Johnnie Coleman was found shot dead in the 1900 block of Old Savannah Road. Authorities released a photo of a car suspected to have been linked to that slaying. Kelvin Lewis, 33, has been arrested as a suspect in the murders of Coleman and Dougherty.
- Jenefer Holt Herron, 52, of Augusta, died late April 18 after being shot during an argument outside the Circle K at 1739 Walton Way in Augusta. Suspect Yelena Buckner, 33, of Augusta, was later found and arrested on charges of murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, deputies reported.
- JaJuan Russell, 21, of Augusta, was fatally shot early April 17 in the 3700 block of Oslo Road in Augusta. Russell was taken to Augusta University Medical Center.
- Sandersville police found the body of a man on April 16 inside a home on Gwendolyn Street while responding to a report of a domestic dispute at the address. Santavious Louis Roberts, 35, of Sandersville, was arrested.
- Brandon Peebles, 24, of Girard, was shot around 10:45 p.m. on April 14 in the 2300 block of Prague Court. He was pronounced dead at 11:23 p.m.
Copyright 2022 WRDW/WAGT. All rights reserved.